H. Earl Browning family papers and photographs
Scope and Contents
This collection includes the papers, photographs and negatives from the H. Earl Browning family in Muncie, IN ranging from 1920 to 1976 regarding family correspondence, war records, financial records, personal documents, photographs and negatives.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.
Earl Browning was a teacher in the city schools. He and his wife, Mary, had two children, Wayne L and Joseph J. Mary Browning was an active member of the Mothers of World War II, and served as the local unit (#16) president for two terms. Wayne Browning was in the army and served during World War II in Ireland, England, North Africa, and Italy. Just prior to leaving for service, Wayne married Helen Piers. Joseph Browning attended Ball State Teachers College. He taught for one year. He attended Indiana University and pursued a Masters in Business Education. Eventually, he became a Certified Public Accountant (CPA). Wayne and Helen moved to Macon, Georgia after the war. They divorced in 1961 and Wayne remarried. Earl Browning died in 1967. Mary Browning died in 1976.
2.8 Cubic Feet (10 boxes, 1 folder)
Language of Materials
Arranged in the following series:
Series 1: H. Earl Browning papers, 1920-1976
Series 2: Joseph Browning papers, 1941, 1947, 1961, 1964
Series 3: Mary Browning papers, 1942-1976
Series 4: H. Earl Browning Family photographs, undated
Series 5: H. Earl Browning Family negatives, 1903-1976
Series 6: H. Earl Browning Family oversize photographs, undated
This collection was received by Archives and Special Collections as a gift on 1993/08/30.
No further additions are expected.
Collection processing completed 2013/10/23 by Rebecca Marangelli. EAD finding aid created 2009/03/26 by Maren Read. EAD finding aid revised 2013/10/23 by Rebecca Marangelli.
- Classes (Groups of students) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Delaware County (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Diaries Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Family -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Farm business management Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Financial records Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military history Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Muncie (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Stoeckel Archives of Local History Subject Source: Local sources
- H. Earl Browning family papers and photographs
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Stoeckel Archives of Local History Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA