Indiana Renaissance Fair records and photographs
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of a wide range of materials and includes programs, evaluations, applications, budget information, sketches, news clippings, and many other items of the Renaissance Fair Committee. The collection concentrates on the 1978, 1979, and 1980 fairs, but also includes other materials through 1986. This collection was donated by Patricia Schaefer, who served as general chairwoman for the first two fairs, and Cassie Bolander.
A separate photograph series contains nine folders and approximately 96 photographs the 1978 fair to the 1980 fair.
A slide series consists of approximately 900 slides, primarily of the fair years of 1978-1980.
A third series of oversize materials contains four posters from 1980, 1981, 1983 and an unidentified year.
The fourth series contains 2 oversized photographs from the 1979 fair.
Also included in the collection are 3 videotapes of the fairs and 1 cassette tape of radio promotions, dated 1980.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.
The Indiana Renaissance Fair was held annually in Muncie from 1978 through 1986 and was sponsored by the Delaware County Council for the Arts. In attempting to recreate a fair of the era, the Indiana Renaissance Fair featured entertainment, crafts, food, artists, and other features commonly found in a fair of Renaissance Italy. The fair also featured an opening parade, hot air balloon races, canoe races, gondola rides in the White River, and a Renaissance Run foot race. In its first four years, the fair was held in Central downtown Muncie.
3 Cubic Feet (3 cubic feet)
Language of Materials
This collection is arranged in the following series:
Series 1: Indiana Renaissance Fair financial records and other reports, 1978-1985
Series 2: Indiana Renaissance Fair committee, council, and board of directors documents, 1978-1986
Series 3: Indiana Renaissance Fair entertainment materials and documents, 1978-1986
Series 4: Indiana Renaissance Fair correspondence and other written materials, 1978-1987
Series 5: Indiana Renaissance Fair subject files, 1978-1985
Series 6: Indiana Renaissance Fair fair photographs, 1978-1980
Series 7: Indiana Renaissance Fair slides, 1978-1980
Series 8: Indiana Renaissance Fair oversize posters, 1980-1983
Series 9: Indiana Renaissance Fair oversize photographs, 1979
Series 10: Indiana Renaissance Fair audio recordings, 1982
Series 11: Indiana Renaissance Fair negatives, 1978
This collection was received by Archives and Special Collections as a donation from Judy Schroeder on 1995/08/18. Additions were received on 1999/12/01 by Cassie Bolander, and on 2002/05/01.
No further additions are expected.
EAD finding aid created 2012/10/11 by Julie Hausknecht. EAD finding aid revised 2013/10/28 by Rebecca Marangelli.
- Committees Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Delaware County (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Documents Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Fairs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Financial records Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Muncie (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Slides (Photography) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sound recordings Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stoeckel Archives of Local History Subject Source: Local sources
- Indiana Renaissance Fair records and photographs
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Stoeckel Archives of Local History Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA