Don Blair collection on Prisoner of War Branch Camps in Indiana
Scope and Contents
The content of the two folders consist of Don Blair's recollection of his time spent as a guard in Branch Camp number four here in Indiana, where he supervised German prisoners of war working in a factory. The photocopies within the folders are transcripts of Blair's interview, minutes from meetings and accounting paper from the War Department.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.
According to www.indianamilitary.org:
Eaton was one of several prisoner of war camps in Indiana. The POWs at Eaton originated from Camp Atterbury, Indiana. The work established at the camp was the harvesting and canning of tomatoes. The camp was guarded by a ten foot barbed wire fence that surrounded the 17 acres of property. At the corners were guard towers, each manned by one guard and a mounted machine gun. The camp contained a latrine, store, and library. The workers were paid for their work (not in currency) which they could spend at the facilities available to them at the camp. The camp closed in November of 1945. The last remnants of the camp site was destroyed in 1977.
0.3 Cubic Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
Arranged in the following series:
Series 1: Prisoner of War Branch Camp documents, undated
Series 2: Don Blair oversized photographs, circa 1929
Series 3: Don Blair photographs of Eaton Indiana, undated
This collection was received by Archives and Special Collections as a donation from Donald Blair 1997/02/26.
No further additions are expected.
Collection processing completed 2000/10/09 by S. Reilly. EAD finding aid created 2012/10/12 by Julie Hausknecht. EAD finding aid revised 2013/10/29 by Rebecca Marangelli.
- Delaware County (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Eaton (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Factories Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Prisoner-of-war camps Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Prisoners of war Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stoeckel Archives of Local History Subject Source: Local sources
- Don Blair collection on Prisoner of War Branch Camps in Indiana
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Stoeckel Archives of Local History Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA