Round Table Club records
Scope and Contents
This collection includes constitution and by-laws, meeting minutes, programs, reports, and scrapbooks from the Roundtable Club in Muncie, Indiana ranging from 1900 to 1997 regarding the club and its activities.
Language of Materials
Materials in English.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.
On February 22, 1894, seven friends were the dinner guests of Mrs. C.L. Medsker at her home. The group discussed forming a club to “better themselves” through study and fellowship. While they were deciding what to call the newly formed club, Mrs. Medsker’s father, Dr. T.J. Bowles, well known Muncie physician and freethinker, entered the room. Hearing the women’s discussion, he suggested that since the group was seated around a large round table, they might call their organization The Round Table Club. The women officially adopted the name. Mrs. Ed Taylor was elected the Club’s first president and the group planned to meet bi-monthly from October to May, with a membership limited to 20 women. Each year had a theme with programs presented by members. The club also supported several local charities with financial donations. A favorite yearly tradition was Tasting Day, when members brought their own treats and husbands were entertained once a year. The group joined the Delaware County Federation of Clubs, December 4, 1896 and continued as an organization until May 1997, when the five active members gathered to officially disband the club and disperse the remaining funds to selected charities.
1.2 Cubic Feet (5 boxes)
This collection is arranged in the following series:
Series 1: Round Table Club records, 1939-1982
Series 2: Round Table Club minutes, 1957-1997
Series 3: Round Table Club programs, 1900-1960
Series 4: Round Table Club scrapbooks, 1935-1994
This collection was received by Archives and Special Collections as a donation from Catherine Rothhaar on 1997/08/26.
No further additions are expected.
Finding aid revised 2009/10/27 by Maren Read. EAD finding aid created 2011/05/11 by Helen Boyer. EAD finding aid revised 2011/05/11 by Bethany Fiechter.
- Delaware County (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Delaware County (Ind.) -- History -- 20th century -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Documents Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Financial records Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Muncie (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Muncie (Ind.) -- History -- 20th century -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Programs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stoeckel Archives of Local History Subject Source: Local sources
- Round Table Club records
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Stoeckel Archives of Local History Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA