The Man Haters collection
Scope and Contents
This collection includes research involved in creating a video about the 1915 film, The Man Haters. It includes documents about the original cast members, the producer, the local newspaper popularity contest, working papers for the grant application, production videos, still photographs from the original film, personal photographs of the cast members, and a copy of a publication written by Nancy Turner about the project ranging from 1894 to 1997 regardingThe Man Haters project.
Language of Materials
Materials in English.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.
In January 1994, through the efforts of Bill Barnett, Director of Library Business Services, the families of Bill Kirtley, his sister Jenny Leach and their spouses, donated a 1915 film entitled, The Man Haters to the Ball State University Libraries. The film, having an intrinsic value simply because it still existed, became even more valuable when it was learned that it was filmed in Muncie, Indiana, with a Muncie cast, the result of a newspaper popularity contest. Upon viewing the film, Michael Wood, Dean of the Ball State University Libraries (1979-2006), thought that it would make an excellent program for the upcoming Friends of the Bracken Library program in the Spring of 1995. His idea was to use the film as a centerpiece of a video, surrounding it with visual documentation gathered from detailed research about the producer, the cast members, and the scenes of Muncie, Indiana from 1915. He appointed Nancy Turner, Head of Archives and Special Collections in the Ball State University Libraries as Director of The Man Haters project. This collection is the direct result of that research project.
1.8 Cubic Feet (4 boxes, 11 VHS tapes, 3 DVD-R discs)
This collection is arranged in the following series:
Series 1: The Man Haters film research files, 1894-1997
Series 2: The Man Haters film stills and personal photographs, 1915-1963
Series 3: The Man Haters production videos, 1995-1997
This collection was received by Archives and Special Collections as a donation from Bill and Pam Kirtley on 1994/03/18 and by Nancy Turner from 1994-1997.
No further additions are expected.
Existence and Location of Copies
Digital reproductions of the original The Man Haters film, a longer documentary film, and related materials from this collection can be found in the Ball State University Digital Media Repository:
Collection processing completed 1998/04/03 by T. Tweedy; M. Read 2006/10/31; Rachel Miller 2006/11/22; M. Read 2007/07/03; Bethany Fiechter 2011/04/14. EAD finding aid created 2011/04/13 by Bethany Fiechter. EAD finding aid revised 2014/06/06 by Brandon Pieczko
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Documents Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Indiana -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Interviews Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Muncie (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Music Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Publications Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Reports Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Silent films Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stoeckel Archives of Local History Subject Source: Local sources
- Video recordings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- The Man Haters collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Stoeckel Archives of Local History Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA