McKell and Company records
Scope and Contents
The collection contains photocopies of correspondence, invoices, letters, and telegrams related primarily to fruit jar manufacturing and sales companies, Indiana glass companies, and companies that bought fruit jars from the McKell and Company between 1910 and 1917. Folders are listed alphabetically by company and chronologically by year respectively.
- Creation: 1910-1917
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections. Documents from the collection may not be published, in any format, by any person other than the donor until after December 31st, 2003, except by written permission of the donor. No restrictions are placed on access for research purposes. Information from the documents may be quoted or paraphrased with proper credit. Photocopying is permitted.
McKell and Company was a family-owned glass and china store in Chilicothe, Ohio. Opened in 1832, McKell was the first glass and china store west of the Allegheny Mountains. The store bought and sold all types of glass, china, and other products through both wholesale and retail. McKell and Company operated continually until 1917 when it was closed to create space for Camp Sherman, a nearby WWI training camp. Documents relating to the business' last years of operation, from 1910 to 1917, were sorted into wooden boxes and stored in the attic of the garage of Wm. Scott McKell, the last owner. The wooden boxes containing the original records of the company were found by his descendants.
0.8 Cubic Feet (3 boxes)
Language of Materials
This collection is arranged in the following series:
Series 1: McKell Company purchasing records, 1910-1917
Series 2: McKell Company other company records, 1911-1917
Series 3: McKell Company fruit jar purchases , 1910-1917
This collection was received by Archives and Special Collections as a donation from Tom Sproat.
No further additions are expected.
Existence and Location of Originals
This collection consists of photocopies of the original records and represents only a portion of the McKell and Company Records. The original records, which relate to all aspects of the company's business, were retained by McKell's grandson, Tom Sproat.
EAD finding aid created 2012/10/15 by Julie Hausknecht. EAD finding aid revised 2013/10/28 by Rebecca Marangelli.
- McKell Company records
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Stoeckel Archives of Local History Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA