Muncie smallpox epidemic of 1893 newspaper clippings
Scope and Contents
The collection contains clippings from the Muncie Daily Times (August 21, 1893 to September 25, 1893), and the Muncie Morning News (August 18, 1893 to November 4, 1893) on the smallpox epidemic in Muncie. Also included is an outline of the event and two excerpts from the "History of Delaware County, Indiana" and "A Twentieth Century History of Delaware County, Indiana."
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.
The smallpox epidemic began in Muncie around the middle of August 1893. The first reported appearance of the disease was on Muncie's Southside, but more cases began to appear across the city. On September 11, 1893, the City Board of Health established a quarantine that was maintained until November 4, 1893. One hundred fifty cases were reported, and twenty of those resulted in death.
0.3 Cubic Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
This collection is arranged chronologically.
This collection was received by Archives and Special Collections as a donation.
No further additions are expected.
Collection processing completed 2004/04/23 by Joan Mullins. Finding aid created 2004/04/23 by Joan Mullins. EAD finding aid completed 2013/02/19 by Bethany Fiechter.
- Clippings Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Epidemics Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Muncie (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Smallpox Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stoeckel Archives of Local History Subject Source: Local sources
- Muncie smallpox epidemic newspaper clippings
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Stoeckel Archives of Local History Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA