Muncie Human Rights Commission collection
Scope and Contents
This collection includes correspondence, reports, and other records from the Human Rights Commission in Muncie, Indiana ranging from 1967 to 1979 regarding appointments to the commission and the commission's initiatives to advocate for equality in employment, housing, youth recreation, education and other aspects of life in the city.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.
The Muncie Human Rights Commission was created by a 1964 ordinance for the purpose of studying the problems of discrimination in the city and advocating for equality in education, employment, youth recreation, and housing regardless of race, color, creed, or nationality. The commission works towards those goals by sponsoring community programs and education on civil rights, advising City of Muncie departments and officials, and investigating discrimination complaints. The commission consists of 15 citizens appointed by the mayor. The commission’s structure is based upon following committees: Education, Employment, Youth & Recreation, Housing, and Membership.
0.2 Cubic Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
This collection is arranged alphabetically.
This collection was received by Archives and Special Collections as a donation.
No further additions are expected.
Collection processing completed 2006/06 by R Miller. EAD finding aid created 2012/10/19 by Julie Hausknecht. EAD finding aid revised 2012/12/19 by Stephen Jones.
- Civil rights Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Local government Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mayors Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Muncie (Ind.) -- History -- 21st century -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Race relations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stoeckel Archives of Local History Subject Source: Local sources
- Muncie Human Rights Commission collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Stoeckel Archives of Local History Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA