Betty Harris papers and photographs
Scope and Contents
The collection includes materials from the professional career, organizational memberships and committees, and publications of Betty Harris. Documents here include information pertaining to local historical, religious and women’s clubs, community service involvement, and her work as a writer. Also included are Kennedy Assassination wire reports and issues of the Muncie Evening Press covering the Kennedy Assassination in 1963.
- 1834 - 2006
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.
Mary E. (Betty) Harris was the author of a Muncie Evening Press column in the late 1960's and early 1970's called "Where the Bands Are," interviewing many noted musicians and public figures in her work. Harris was also the author or editor of many publications. She was an active member of the community and interested in local history. She served on committees for various Delaware County Historical Festivals and was a member of many more local organizations, holding offices in both local and state divisions of the National League of American Pen Women. She and others opened a teen center in the late 1960's called "The Cave." Harris worked at Ball State University for 11 years and was implemental in creating the MBA by television program.
1.6 Cubic Feet (5 boxes and 1 folder)
Language of Materials
Arranged in the following series:
Series 1: Clubs and organization materials, 1972-1973, 1977, 1990-2003
Series 2: Publication materials, 1952, 1962, 1969-1992, 1999-2004
Series 3: Subject files, 1935, 1952-1961, 1968-1976, 1980, 1989, 1992
Series 4: Artifacts
Series 5: Betty Harris photographs, 1953-2006
Series 6: Berry Harris negatives, undated
This collection was received by Archives and Special Collections as a donation.
No further additions are expected.
Collection processed 2007 Oct. by R. Wynn. Additions processed 2007 Nov. by R. Wynn. Collection reprocessed 2013/10/29 by Rebecca Marangelli. EAD finding aid created 2009/06/30 by Maren Read. EAD finding aid revised 2013/10/29 by Rebecca Marangelli.
- Authors Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Delaware County (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Festivals Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Local history Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Muncie (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- News agencies Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Objects Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Organizations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Publications Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stoeckel Archives of Local History Subject Source: Local sources
- Betty Harris papers and photographs
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Stoeckel Archives of Local History Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA