William "Jack" Spears Boy Scouts of America records and photographs
Scope and Contents
This collection includes scrapbooks, newspaper clippings, badges and other artifacts documenting the history of the boy scouts in Delaware County, Indiana from 1913-2003. The scrapbooks were compiled by the donor and collector, William “Jack” Spears, from his personal collection and from documents, photographs, and artifacts given to him. There are scrapbooks for important leaders of the Boy Scouts and Camp Redwing, including as well as scrapbooks on the history of Camp Redwing and different lodges within the Crossroads of America Council. P.260 includes photographs and slides of Boy Scouts activities and Camp Redwing. V.279 includes videos and film strips about scouting and Boy Scouts of America.
- Creation: 1913-2003
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.
The Delaware County Council of Boy Scouts was formed in Muncie, Indiana in 1924. The newly formed chapter was divided into an inner district serving the city of Muncie and an outer district serving the rest of Delaware County. The districts went through several realignments as the demographics of the Council changed. The inner and outer districts were dissolved in 1948, only to be replaced by east and west districts in 1960. The Delaware County Council merged with the Crossroads of America Council in 1972.
The Delaware County Council founded a camp outside of Muncie, known as Camp Redwing, in 1925. Organized by Council executive E.H. Justice, the camp was located on the Aretus Rees farm southeast of Muncie. The camp opened in 1926 under the direction of Lynn Perrigo. Aertus Rees left the land for Camp Redwing to the Council in his will and the camp grew to over 168 acres with additional land purchases by the Ball Foundation and John McKenzie Morrison.
4.5 Cubic Feet (7 boxes )
Language of Materials
This collection was received by Archives and Special Collections as a donation from Cynthia A. Spears on 2009/06/11.
No further additions are expected.
Collection processing completed 2009/07 by Jenny Edenfeld. Finding aid created 2009/07 by Jenny Edenfeld. Finding aid revised 2009/08/25 by Maren L. Read. EAD finding aid completed 2009/08/27 by Maren L. Read.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Stoeckel Archives of Local History Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA