Skip to main content

Mary Alice and Don Lanning Boy and Girl Scouts of America papers and records

Identifier: MSS-302

Scope and Contents

Mary Alice and Don Lanning are dedicated scouters. A personal interest in Boy and Girl Scouts of America lead to collecting a number of items related to scouting. Mrs. Lanning collected and organized her own personal materials from her time as a Girl Scout. Similarly, Mr. Lanning kept his own personal materials from his time as a scout leader. In addition, the couple also collected a number of articles and books relating to scouting as well as personal friends memorabilia from thier time as scouts. This dedication to scouting led the Lannings to donate thier personal collection of memorabilia to the Ball State University Archives and Special Collections.

This collection includes documents, photographs, booklets, magazines, newspaper clippings, and handbooks from Mary Alice and Don Lanning in Muncie Indiana ranging from 1892 to 2010 regarding the Boy and Girl Scouts of America.


  • Creation: 1911-2009

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Copyright Notice

Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.

Administrative History

The Delaware County Council of Boy Scouts was formed in Muncie, Indiana in 1924. The newly formed chapter was divided into an inner district serving the city of Muncie and an outer district serving the rest of Delaware County. The districts went through several realignments as the demographics of the Council changed. The inner and outer districts were dissolved in 1948, only to be replaced by east and west districts in 1960. The Delaware County Council merged with the Crossroads of America Council in 1972.

The Delaware County Council founded a camp outside of Muncie, known as Camp Redwing, in 1925. Organized by Council executive E.H. Justice, the camp was located on the Aretus Rees farm southeast of Muncie. The camp opened in 1926 under the direction of Lynn Perrigo. Aertus Rees left the land for Camp Redwing to the Council in his will and the camp grew to over 168 acres with additional land purchases by the Ball Foundation and John McKenzie Morrison.


1.3 Cubic Feet (2 Boxes)

Language of Materials



Arranged in the following series:

Series 1: Mary Alice and Don Lanning Girl Scout records, 1920-1946

Series 2: Mary Alice and Don Lanning Boy Scout records, 1892-2010

Series 3: Lanning family Boy and Girl Scouts of America photographs, c.1900s

Custodial History

This collection was received by Archives and Special Collections as a donation from Mary Alice and Don Lanning on 2010/07/19.


No further additions are expected.

Related Materials

Materials relating to this collection may be found in the following collections in Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie IN:

MSS.291: William "Jack" Spears Boy Scouts of America records

PSC.347: Lanning Family Boy and Girl Scouts of America photographs

Processing Information

Collection processing completed 2010/08/02 by Bridget K. Hahn. Finding aid created 2010/08/03 by Bridget K. Hahn. EAD finding aid created 2011/03/08 by Bethany Fiechter. Finding aid revised 2013/05/03 by Eve A. Eiler

Mary Alice and Don Lanning Boy and Girl Scouts of America papers and records
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Stoeckel Archives of Local History Repository

Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA