William R. and Erna Root family correspondence
Scope and Contents
This collection includes correspondence from Root family members and friends in Indiana ranging from 1901-1945.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.
Biographical Note / Historical Note / Administrative History
William R. Root was born in 1873 in Indianapolis. He moved to Muncie, Indiana and married his wife, Erna. Root was a partner in the Eiler & Root Real Estate and Insurance firm. He was also an active member in the Muncie community, participating in local Republican politics, the Masonic Lodge, and the Presbyterian Church. He was a resident of Muncie for 41 years until his death in 1953.
Erna E. Root was born in Muncie in 1876 to John C. and Margaret Cassady Eiler. She spent the majority of her life in the community. She was active in the First Presbyterian Church, and was a charter member of the Presbyterian Flower Mission. Erna also enjoyed music and was invovled with the Muncie Matinee Musicale. William and Erna had one daughter, Margaret (later, Mrs. Leslie Scott). Erna died in 1962.
0.3 Cubic Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
This collection is arranged by chronologically.
This collection was received by Archives and Special Collections as a donation from William Morgan on 2013/01/29.
No further additions are expected.
Collection processing completed 2013/07/31 Julie Hausknecht. EAD finding aid created 2013/07/31 by Julie Hausknecht. EAD finding aid revised 2013/07/31 by Leslie Nellis.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Delaware County (Ind.) -- History -- 20th century -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Muncie (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Muncie (Ind.) -- History -- 20th century -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stoeckel Archives of Local History Subject Source: Local sources
- William R. and Erna Root family correspondence
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Stoeckel Archives of Local History Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA