McCarty Wholesale Lumber Company, Inc. records
Scope and Contents
This collection includes ledgers, books, correspondence, photographs, negatives, scrapbooks, legal records, and promotional material from the McCarty Wholesale Lumber Company in Muncie, Indiana ranging from 1933 to 2011 regarding business accounts, advertising, travel expenses, company history, inventories, project bids, architectural plans, and the lumber industry.
- Creation: 1933-2011
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.
The McCarty Wholesale Lumber Company began as a partnership between Tom D. McCarty and Marvin Nichols in 1945. Together they founded the Nichols-McCarty Lumber Company and bought carloads of lumber from stock yards across Indiana. In 1952, Nichols suffered a heart attack and died, and McCarty bought out Nichols's share of the company, changing the name to McCarty Wholesale Lumber. McCarty traveled across the United States and Canada buying carloads of lumber and sold products to Indiana retailers, contractors, and construction companies. In 1964, the company suffered a devastating loss from a massive fire that swept across the company stock yard. The fire started from an emergency flare that two young boys had stolen from a train car, and the fire overtook most of the McCarty property. Two stock sheds, lift trucks, and equipment were destroyed in the fire. The company managed to rebuild and eventually bought the Delaware Lumber Company in 1972 making them one of the largest lumber wholesalers in Muncie. By 2011, as larger chain stores began to garner more business, McCarty Lumber Company struggled to remain open and active. The company eventually closed on October 31, 2012 after 67 years of business.
8 Cubic Feet (12 boxes, 3 oversize boxes, 14 ledgers)
Language of Materials
This collection is arranged in the following series and subseries:
Series 1: Administrative records, 1948-1991
Subseries 1.1: Correspondence, 1948-1991
Subseries 1.2: Insurance forms, 1948
Subseries 1.3: Inventories, 1949-1969
Subseries 1.4: Legal Documents, 1964, 1971
Series 2: Financial records, 1933-2001
Subseries 2.1: Account balances and worksheets, 1933-1984
Subseries 2.2: Receipts, 1948-2001
Subseries 2.3: Ledgers, 1940-1968
Series 3: Project documents, 1950-1990
Subseries 3.1: Architectural plans, 1971
Subseries 3.2: Project bids, 1950-1952, 1967
Subseries 3.3: Muncie Urban Enterprise Association, 1988-1990
Series 4: Promotional material and publications, 1954-2011
Subseries 4.1: Publications and advertisements, 1960-2001
Subseries 4.2: Lumber industry publications, 1954-1964, 1970-1978
Subseries 4.3: Awards and certificates, 1959-2011
Subseries 4.4: Parade of Homes publications, 1978-2005
Series 5: Realia, undated
Series 6: Photographs, 1985-1987, 1995-1997, 2006
Series 7: Negatives, 1985
Series 8: Scrapbooks, 1978-1994
This collection was received by Archives and Special Collections as a donation from Sue Earls on 2013/10/02. An addition to the collection was received from Sue Earls on 2014/07/08.
No further additions are expected.
The following materials were separated from the collection during processing:
"Ball Family Remarks" speech delivered by Jud Fisher at the Beneficence 75th anniversary celebration, September 26, 2012 [SC.648]
Muncie-Delaware County Chamber of Commerce, Business Directory and Resource Guide, 1997-1998, 2002-2007, 2011-2012 [Archives F534.M9 M74]
Map: City of Muncie, Indiana, 1966. Hillcrest Publishing Company: Battle Creek, Mich., 1967. [Transferred to GIS Research and Map Collection]
Map: Delaware County, Indiana. Compiled by H. Lester Janney, revised by Ward M. Harlan. Hillcrest Publishing Company: Battle Creek, Mich., 1965. [Transferred to GIS Research and Map Collection]
Map: Delaware County, Indiana 1967 Delaware Post Offices Rural Route Map with Key Box Numbers. Compiled by H. Lester Janney, revised by Ward M. Harlan. Hillcrest Publishing Company: Battle Creek, Mich., 1965. [Transferred to GIS Research and Map Collection]
Map: Delaware County, Indiana Major/Minor Roads. Prepared by the Delaware County Engineers Office. Approved June 15, 1998 per county subdivision ordinance, Article XVII Section 28(B) [Transferred to GIS Research and Map Collection]
Collection processing completed 2013/12/02 by Lindsey Vesperry. EAD finding aid created 2013/10/03 by Leslie Nellis. EAD finding aid revised 2013/12/02 by Lindsey Vesperry. EAD finding aid revised 2014/9/26 by Emily Rapoza.
- McCarty Wholesale Lumber Company, Inc. records
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Stoeckel Archives of Local History Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA