Galyean family papers
Scope and Contents
This collection includes journals, photographs, and genealogy records from Galyean Family in Blountsville, Indiana ranging from 1866 to 1987. Elizabeth "Lizzie" C. Bainter Galyean's journal includes Civil War era poetry, ledgers, and census records. The collection also includes a register of the deaths of friends of Sylvia Galyean, as well as publications regarding Galyean family genealogy between 1763-1987. PSC.358 includes two photographs of the farm in Blountsville in the 1950s.
- 1866-1917, circa 1950s, 1987
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.
According to the genealogy records of the Galyean family, the earliest known record is Thomas Gallion in 1763. At an unspecified date, Thomas Gallion moved from North Carolina to Wayne County Indiana. It is at this time that the spelling of his name changed to Galyean.
Catherine Elizabeth Binter Galyean (Lizzie) is the author of one of the journals. Her biography is included in the genealogical records. She indicates that she and her family moved from Martinsburg, Ohio to Bountsville, Indiana in 1850. She married Allen Wesley Galyean and had three children: Ella, Hattie, and William.
Catherine's son William married Sylvia Bechtel. Sylvia Bechtel Galyean is the author of the death records journal in the collection.
Karen Batty, the donor of the collection, is a descendent of the Galyean line of the family.
0.3 Cubic Feet (1 box, 1 folder)
Language of Materials
Arranged in the following series:
Series 1: Galyean family papers, 1866-1947, 1987
Series 2: Galyean family photographs, ca. 1950s
This collection was received by Archives and Special Collections as a donation from Karen Batty on 2013/10/23.
No further additions are expected.
Existence and Location of Copies
Digital reproductions of materials from this collection are available electronically in the Ball State University Libraries Digital Media Repository:
Collection processing completed 2013/11/04 by Rebecca Marangelli. EAD finding aid created 2013/11/04 by Leslie Nellis. EAD finding aid revised 2013/11/04 by Rebecca Marangelli.
- Blountsville (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Diaries Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Genealogy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Henry County (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Local history Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Stoeckel Archives of Local History Subject Source: Local sources
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Galyean family papers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Stoeckel Archives of Local History Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA