Ball Memorial Hospital Auxiliary records
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of records documenting the volunteer activities of the Ball Memorial Hospital Auxiliary between 1934 and 2012. Records include by-laws, narrative histories, Board of Directors meeting minutes, newspaper clippings, newsletters, member directories, event invitations and promotional material, and photographs.
- 1934 - 2012
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.
The Ball Memorial Hospital Auxiliary was founded as the Woman's Auxiliary of Ball Memorial Hospital on February 7, 1934 through the efforts of Nellie Brown, then general superintendent of the hospital who served as the group's counselor and advisor. The original eight founding members of the group were Mrs. Will C. Moore, Mrs. Harry Wolf, Mrs. J.W. Malloy, Mrs. Myron Gray, Mrs. Frank Kimbrough, Mrs. James Kimbrough, Mrs. Carl O'Harra, and Miss Sara Carson. The Auxiliary's membership included those women who were members of organizations already participating in hospital volunteer work and other individuals and organizations interested in devoting their time and effort to help in the hospital.
The purpose of the organization was to promote the interests of the hospital by assisting with the many activities and projects approved by the directors of the hospital to support the management of the hospital and the comfort of its patients. Over the years, these activities included distributing books to patients; sewing bandages, cast covers, aprons, and bed sheets; fillng Christmas stockings and arranging Easter church services for patients; providing emergency aid service during World War II; collecting materials for and constructing polio packs during the polio epidemic of 1949; and fundraising events like the benefit card party, Delicacy Week, Charity Ball, Charity Auction, and Festival of Trees and Light.
In 1983, the name of the organization was changed from Woman's Auxiliary of Ball Memorial Hospital to Ball Memorial Hospital Auxiliary to accomodate the male members of the board. Circa 2012, the volunteer activities of the auxiliary were transfered to the hospital's Volunteer Resources office and the organization's fundraising responsibilities were assumed by the IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital Foundation.
7.2 Cubic Feet (8 boxes)
Language of Materials
This collection is arranged chronologically.
The records in this collection were initially compiled into scrapbooks by Janet Mills-Marvin, Ball Memorial Hospital Auxiliary board member and Historian, and numerous other volunteers from the Ball Memorial Hospital Volunteer Resources office between 2011 and 2013. This collection was received by Archives and Special Collections as a donation from Sandra Hoover, Director of Volunteer Resources at Ball Memorial Hospital, on 2014/01/05.
No further additions are expected.
Collection processing completed 2015/04/24 by Kasey Cooksey. EAD finding aid created 2015/04/14 by Kasey Cooksey. EAD finding aid revised 2015/04/27 by Brandon Pieczko.
- By-laws Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clippings Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Directories Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hospitals Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Minutes (Administrative Records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Muncie (Ind.) -- Photographs -- 20th century -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Newsletters Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Volunteers Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women -- Societies and clubs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ball Memorial Hospital Auxiliary records
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Stoeckel Archives of Local History Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA