Muncie Masonic Temple Association records
Scope and Contents
This collection contains records from the Muncie Masonic Temple Association ranging from 1920 to 1940 and includes membership subscription record books, receipt books, and voucher books documenting donations to and payments from the organization to fund the construction of the third Masonic Temple building; architectural drawings for the Masonic Temple created by the Indiana Bridge Company; and an embossing press featuring the organization's logo.
- 1920 - 1940
- Indiana Bridge Company (Muncie, Ind.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.
The Muncie Masonic Temple Association is a civic organization located in Muncie, Indiana. While the Muncie Masons were organized in 1842, the Muncie Masonic Temple Association was not established until between circa 1919 and 1921. During the early 20th century, many smaller Masonic clubs met in various locations in downtown Muncie. The Masons had previously built a temple at High and Main Streets and at 211 West Main Street. In the 1920s, the design of a third Masonic Temple was undertaken in an effort to consolidate Muncie's various Masonic organizations. The project was also a civic one, as the structure included a ballroom and auditorium for the community's use. Prominent community members, such as the five Ball brothers, gave donations to finance the design and construction of the temple. The organization oversaw fundraising and planning for the building, as well as the operations and function of the temple after its completion.
The Masonic Temple is a six-story, Gothic Revival building located at the northeast corner of Main and Madison Streets in downtown Muncie, Indiana. Construction on the third building began in 1920 and finished in 1926 at a cost of approximately $1 million. Prominent local architect Cuno Kibele was commissioned for the project. In addition, nationally recognized artist Gustav S. Brand created twenty-two murals for the interior spaces. The Masonic Temple was officially dedicated on November 27, 1926. The temple served as the meeting place for many Masonic organizations in Muncie, including the Muncie and Delaware lodges, Muncie Chapter, Muncie Council, and Muncie Commandery. On February 9, 2005, the Masonic Temple building was renamed Cornerstone Center for the Arts. The building continues to serve as the home of the Muncie Masonic Association and other community organizations but is also a venue for various educational, cultural, and social events.
2.3 Cubic Feet (3 boxes, oversize drawings)
Language of Materials
This collection is arranged alphabetically and in the following series:
Series 1: Administrative record books, 1920-1940
Series 2: Architectural drawings, 1923-1924
Series 3: Artifacts, undated
This collection was received by Archives and Special Collections as a donation from Bonita Ramirez on 2015/02/27.
No further additions are expected.
Collection processing completed 2015/09/10 by Cody Sprunger. EAD finding aid created by Lindsey M. Vesperry on 2015/09/10. EAD finding aid revised by Brandon Pieczko on 2015/09/11.
- Architecture Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Delaware County (Ind.) -- History -- 20th century -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Drawings, architectural (visual works) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Freemasons Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Membership lists Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Muncie (Ind.) -- History -- 20th century -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Realia Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Stoeckel Archives of Local History Subject Source: Local sources
- Muncie Masonic Temple Association Records
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Stoeckel Archives of Local History Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA