Camp Isanogel records and photographs
Scope and Contents
This collection includes reports, brochures, newspaper clippings, newsletters, scrapbooks, photographs, video recordings, and other materials from Camp Isanogel in Delaware County, Indiana ranging from 1907 to 2010 regarding camping activities and camp patrons.
- 1907 - 2010
- Majority of material found within 1934 - 2010
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.
Camp Isanogel originated in 1953 when Ellen Isanogel, a Delaware County teacher, donated 150 acres of farmland in Yorktown, Indiana. In 1961, this farmland was developed into a camp that specialized in summer programs for people with mental and physical disabilities. Since its inception in 1961, the camp was funded and owned by the Easter Seals Society of Delaware County. In addition to owning and caring for the camp, the Easter Seals Society also raised funding for low-income campers who could not afford the camp fees. In the 2000s, the operation of the camp was taken over by Hillcroft Services of Muncie.
Camp Isanogel welcomed campers of all ages, offering summer and off-season programs for children as well as teens and adults. Campers partook in activities such as swimming, arts, basketball, gardening, and obstacle courses. Camp Isanogel also offered their campers an opportunity to be independent and make their own choices. By 2010, the camp hosted more than 200 adult clients from 30 Indiana counties. Despite its popularity with campers and fundraising efforts, the camp struggled to pay for yearly maintenance fees, and in 2014 Hillcroft announced that the camp would be closing after nearly 60 years of service.
5.2 Cubic Feet (6 boxes, 1 oversize box)
Language of Materials
Arranged in the following series:
Series 1: Camp Isanogel records, 1907-1908, 1934-2010
Series 2: Camp Isanogel photographs, negatives, and slides, 1963-2008
Series 3: Camp Isanogel video recordings, 1986-1997
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
Video recordings are in VHS videotape format.
This collection was received by Archives and Special Collections as a donation from Brenda Williamson on 2015/12/18.
No further additions are expected.
Collection processing completed 2016/06/15 by Lindsey M. Vesperry and Matthew Gorham. EAD finding aid created 2016/06/15 by Lindsey M. Vesperry. EAD finding aid revised 2016/06/15 by Lindsey M. Vesperry.
- Brochures Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Calendars Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Clippings Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Human services Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Muncie (Ind.) -- Photographs -- 20th century -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Muncie (Ind.) -- Photographs -- 21st century -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Newsletters Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- People with disabilities -- Services for Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Slides (Photography) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stoeckel Archives of Local History Subject Source: Local sources
- Video recordings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Camp Isanogel records and photographs
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Stoeckel Archives of Local History Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA