Marsh Supermarkets memorabilia collection
Scope and Contents
This collection includes reports, newsletters, biographies, magazines, newspaper clippings, video recordings and other materials from Marsh Supermarkets in Yorktown, Indiana ranging from 1922 to 2017.
- 1922 - 2017
- Majority of material found within 1922 - 1979
Language of Materials
Materials in English.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.
Marsh Foodliners was founded in 1931 by Ermal Marsh in Muncie, Indiana. Under his leadership, the company expanded after the World War II, and by 1952, a warehouse distribution center was open in Yorktown, Indiana. In 1953, Marsh Foodliners went public and had grown to an operation of 16 stores. Ermal died in a plane crash in Logansport, Indiana in August of 1959 and his brother Estel was selected as the new company president.
With Estel Marsh in control of the company, the name was changed from Marsh Foodliners to Marsh Supermarkets. In 1968, Estel was promoted to Chairman of the Board, a move which allowed Don Marsh, Ermal's son, to step forward as the company's president. With Don as president, Marsh progressed in company expansion and technological developments. After Marsh was sold to MSH Supermarkets, Inc., and after Don Marsh's resignation, Frank Lazaran became President and CEO of Marsh on September 27, 2006.
After several low-profiting years, the closing of several Indiana store locations, and other financial issues, Marsh Supermarkets filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Protection on May 11, 2017. All but 26 stores, aside from those bought out by other companies, were liquidated by July 2017.
0.9 Cubic Feet (2 archival letter boxes, 1 oversize folder, 1 oversize photograph, 1 audio recording)
This collection is arranged alphabetically.
No further additions are expected.
Collection processing completed 2017/11/07 by Kelsey Gordon.
- Clippings Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Delaware County (Ind.) -- History -- 20th century -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Delaware County (Ind.) -- History -- 21st century -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Newsletters Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Reports Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Marsh Supermarkets memorabilia collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Stoeckel Archives of Local History Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA