Reene Alley education papers
Scope and Contents
This collection includes documents, newspaper clippings, photographs, and realia from Reene Alley in Tallmadge, OH ranging from 1790, to 2007 regarding the history of education.
- 1790, 1822-2007
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Legal title, copyright, and literary rights reside with Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries, Muncie, IN. All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to Archives and Special Collections.
Biographical Note / Historical Note / Administrative History
Reene Alley was an educator received her BS in Chemistry from Ball State University in 1957. She began her career in the math and sciences at the middle and high school levels in Norhtenr Indiana. In 1968 she became the first female junior high school assistant pricnipal in the area at Westland Junior High before moving onto principal of Wesfield Middle School. Alley went on to complete an MS in Mathematics at Purdue and an Ed.D. in School Administuration form Indiana University. From 1989 until 2002 she taught at the University of Akron and Youngstown State Univeristy.
Reene was active in her community and received several awards for her volunteer work. In 1989 she received the Sagamore of the Wabash, the highest civilian honor in the State of Indiana and most recently recieved the Community Service Award from the National Socieities of the Daughters of the American Revolution. She was also an expert on McGuffy Readers and antqiue textbooks. Alley died on July 5 2015.
6 Cubic Feet (6 boxes)
Language of Materials
Arranged in the following series:
Series 1: Ohio Educational History, 1790, 1865-1935, 1962-2008
Series 2: Other States' Education History, 1822-1897, 1910-1935, 1966-1972, 1999-2007
Series 3: United States Education History, 1835-1870, 1924, 1935, 1971-2014
Series 4: Reene Alley Personal Papers, 1985-2007
Series 5: Material Items, 1838-1879, 1907-1999
Sereis 6: Gradebooks, Ledgers, and Scrapbooks, 1860-1876, 1907, 1937-1954
This collection was received by Archives and Special Collections as a gift from the Reene Alley Estate on 2016/10/09.
No further additions are expected.
Collection processing completed 6016/06/21 by Ashley Purvis. EAD finding aid created 2016/06/03 by Rebecca Marangelli.
- Annual Reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Clippings Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Diplomas Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Education Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Grade books Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ohio Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Programs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- School management and organization -- Indiana Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Yearbooks Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Reene Alley education papers
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Special Collections Repository
Alexander M. Bracken Library
2000 W. University Avenue
Muncie Indiana 47306 USA